Monday 6 January 2014

December studio visit and tutorial


Part of the Camberwell/Acme award is the valuable offer of mentoring from a practising artist whose work you admire. I had a lovely tutorial visit from Gayle Chong Kwan who had been one of the judges for the award. Realised I had been feeling a bit detached and purposeless,  felt I was using the studio as a kind of incubating space, just replicating objects. Gayle emphasised that I should now be showing my work as much as possible, entering open calls, commissions etc. Important as my work only resembles finished work when I have to fill a particular space. She also encouraged ideas which you sometimes sit on thinking they're too random - if you think of it, make it. Both are the way to push work forward and I needed to be told again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lockdown Days

Four years later I'm returning to this blog. It has so few views compared to Instagram its almost like a private diary but it can be sh...